Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It's not a joke. It's Eurovision!

I do think that one of the best things that has happened to the countries in Europe since the wars of the last century to demonstrate it's ability to live with each other is the introduction of a European wide singing spectacular called Eurovision. Ah.. what better way to fight for European supremecy than to have the cheesiest singers in each country battle it out in a singing competition. This year we had a Eurovision/Betting party, where we all eagerly gathered around the tele, drank beers, had a barbie, and 3 laptops constantly logged into Betfair to allow people to trade on the voting. I have to say that this year, the songs weren't too bad really..

Some highlights for me:

Finish Entry, Lordi with "Hard Rock Hallelujah"

What better way to celebrate peace amoungst European nations than dressing up like the an Orce and Klingon lovechild, and sing into your battle axe?





Maltese Entry, Fabrizio Faniello with "I do"
For some reason when I heard this song I thought it ROCKED! I found myself dancing around my house like a I just don't care. I mean look at him. Those EYEBROWS! How could he fail to deliver? (Having now heard the song again, I realised that drinking almost a whole bottle of wine in an hour will really impare what you think of as good music. This was definitely confirmed when the poor maltese boy got only one point.. from ALL the 35 voting countries)

German Entry, Texas Lightning with "No No Never"
But my real favorite has to be the German entry - Texas Lightning. Look at these kids!! Look at their hats!! And with lyrics like: "I'm never ever gonna leave you to cry on your own, Never ever gonna not go and pick up the phone, I'm never ever gonna let you be chilled to the bone, No, no, never, No, no, never" who could NOT love this song? Clearly very German. Despite the fact the lead girl is from Newcastle, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA!

This song is like a disease. I've now listened to this 10 times in the last 2 days.. which does not make me proud, but then again, I have no shame. YEEHAA!!

No comments: