Friday, July 14, 2006

Your Friday Moment of Zen: It's Now Free



What's now free? Film Four. To explain, if you're not in the UK, Film Four is a cable/satellite movie channel which shows the coolest and more independant films, but you have to pay extra for it. As we only have free to air digital tele, we don't get Film Four... that is until the 23rd of July.

However this is not my moment of zen for this week. No, the zen comes from the ads which Kevin Spacey has directed to promote the fact that Film Four is now free, which consists of loads of movie stars like Lucy Liu, who calls Christian Slater and Ray Wiston "muppets" as she flies over their badly posted bill board, with her own flag from the plane flying upside down. Or Mackenzie Cooke and Willem Defoe both being bike couriers trying to get the message out.

However whilst these are all funny, the absolute moment of genius, and this week's raison d'ĂȘtre has to be Dame Judy Dench dressed up as a giant lobster, talking to Ewan McGregor, dressed up as a giant tomato. Whilst she operatically sings "Film Four is Now Free!", he tries to come to grips with his own sense of being:
- "Why did I have to be the tomato? I mean, am I a fruit? Am I a vegetable? I don't know who I am"
- "But that's the mystery of you!"

Watch the ad before they take it away, and we have to pay for it... watch it whilst it's free!

No comments: