Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Better than Oxford and Cambridge

I was sick (again) yesterday, so I spent yet another day on my couch, wrapped up in blankets, watching tivo'd tele that I never get a chance to watch. Yesterday I found a rogue University Challenge lying about from god knows when, which I love. For those of you who don't know University Challenge, it's a fantastic knockout trivia quiz show where teams from different universities battle it out, answering questions on anything like 16th century literature, medical terms, history, picture and music rounds. The flatmate and I love it, and whenever we get a question right, we've taken to doing a "Dr K", which means raising both hands in the air, loudly saying "YES! BOOYA!" and the other flatmate congratulating them (K never actually congratulates, he just says "I would have got that"). Whenever we don't know the answer to a question (which is more often than we like to admit), it generally leads to both of us giving an answer combining the words "jimmy" and "bob" such as: Question -"Who was the 12th century Earl of Wessex, who descended from King Ethelred I, elder brother of Alfred the Great", Our answer - "Jimmy Jim Bob Bob, Earl of Wessex!". Question: In what year was Newtons derivation of Kepler's laws from his theory of gravity read by the royal society?" Our Answer - "In the year of Bob-die Bob Jim Bob", and so on and so forth.

Yesterday though, they had their music round, which is usually something like "name the composer of this piece of baroque music" but in this case was "name the song title and the band". By the second beat I had already shouted loud and proud "Girls Aloud! Song title: Biology! YES! BOOYA! BOOYA!", and was dancing in my coughing, sneezy way on the couch. And I have to say, I felt so happy because none of the 8 Oxford or Cambridge students knew it! Yes yes yes! I'm smarter than the 8 geeks from Oxford and Cambridge! In your face smug uni geeks! In your face!

No comments: